Here we go.

07 March 2011

13.1

(((HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ATM!)))




The last three miles seemed impossible, half of my body doesn't function properly, and I now have an affinity for sports drink, but I'd do LR Half Marathon again.  In all, it was a fun, moving, and inspiring experience.  Most importantly, we raised more than the projected goal for Heifer International!  Win! Win! Win! Win!


My favorite observations: 

Seeing ATM & Robert at Mile 8, bundled up, cold, sipping on coffee from a thermos, and cheering us on.  I witnessed spectators setting up comfort stations along the course for walkers and runners; they played music and offered words of encouragement.  When we passed Vino's, I looked over and saw friends wildly banging on the window and waving excitedly.  Leigh, with her long legs, was always a few-to-a-dozen paces in front of me.  She totally could've gone ahead, but she kept looking back to check on me.  We stuck together as a team!  When we neared the finish, we decided to jog the very last bit, a strong finish.  It was amazing.  Aaaand, we got medals!


 Photobucket


I've concluded that she is my adventure femme, since we've thus far gotten tattoos together and now a (half) marathon.  Frankly, I'm curious and looking forward to our next adventure, whatever it is.


My sole complaint for the marathon is this:  there needs to be better bands and DJs along the course, especially if mp3 players are discouraged.  Wow, it was something awful.  If the songs weren't being butchered, the tempo was too slow.  We needed some ragin' choons, not covers of "Family Traditions" and "With or Without You."  Ugh, gag.


Here's Leigh w/ her mum.  Gwyn walked 6 miles with us:
Photobucket


Today, I am sore and swollen.  Even my face!  My goal is to putter around the house, putting things away, but KEEP MOVING.  Ibuprofen.  Epsom salt soak.  And figure out what my next big goal is.  There is no feeling like marking off a big one off the list.

4 comments:

Ulyssette said...

creepy. my mom and i are striking the same pose.

AMD & KMHD said...

vogue!

nicole said...

Congrats on your MEDAL! Woot woot! When I do Race for the Cure, my favorite music along the route: high school marching bands doing their thing with Beyonce and Usher hits; good stuff. xo.

AMD & KMHD said...

Nicole, that is brilliant. They should do just that. I really love drum lines.

In high school, I totally loved pep rallies solely for the drum lines.

I went to Southside High in Ft. Smith; they chanted "The South will rise again!" at rallies. Disgusting.

Blog Archive